Sunday 7 April 2013

The Wide Open Sea (Big Big Train, 2010)

Big Big Train is one of the most consistent groups in English new progressive bands. I think this long charming track, taken from "Far Skies Deep Time" EP, proves my statement, a 17 minute suite in 8 movements depicting an inner journey. Aerial melodies and arrangements immediatly seize the listeners then other themes follow one another with fluency and pleasant changes.

The new Big Big Train's line-up.

If I had to qualify this song's general feeling, I'd suggest a flight, over a landscape of hills and seas, an open view through the clouds, suddenly enlightened by a sheer sunbeam. As always, David Longdon's voice and choral arrangementa are an additional instrument and - last but not least - I welcome the new skillful drummer, Nick D' Virgilio of Spockbeard's fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment