Thursday 11 July 2013

Sugar Mice (Marillion, 1987)

Marillion's "Clutching at Straws" album, is about restlessness and alcohol addiction and most of its songs are full of anger or despair. This one is rather on the melancholic side and features a very, very good melody. Fish and Steve Rothery play the main role here, the first for his usual passionate preformance, the secondr for a splendid guitar solo. I also appreciate Pete Trewavas' bass lines, but what really strikes me is the rare balance between the natural expression of inner sorrow and the smooth and neat arrangement.

This was the cover art of "Sugar Mice" 7" single version.


This contrast perfecly depicts the endless separation between social and intimate spheres in most of human beings. So I think this song represents our unavoidable solitude and also our hidden desire of coming out of our social cage. Each time I listen to this I think Fish was the one man who could sing such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment