Thursday 9 October 2014

Arthur (Rick Wakeman, 1975)

Coming from Rick's arthurian comcept, this is one of the most Wakemanian tracks ever. It's up to you to decide if you like or dislike this man's style. I love it. Beginning with the inscription engraved on Excalibur's rock (Whoso pulleth out this sword from this stone and anvil is the true born King of all Britain), the song alternates pompous keyboard riffs and effective sung melodies in a medieval tournament atmosphere.

One can love or hate this album, but it is a prog legend howsoever.

Be as it may, this opening track is full of inner energy and sounds sincere, the way Rick Wakeman usually does. The listener immediately knows that Rick believes in old legends and loves them. There's the good blend of irony and seriousness, epic and lyric tones, so that a shiver runs up my spine each time I listen to this song. I know that's silly, but there's nothing I can do about it. Just forgive me, listen to this song and find out how Wakeman is the true born King of prog England!

No comments:

Post a Comment