Friday 1 May 2015

Of A Lifetime (Journey, 1975)

As you probably know, Journey started their career with a pair of good prog rock albums, including some jazzy elements and cleverly made architectures. This "Of A Lifetime"comes from the band's self-titled debut album, surely their proggest work, and is one of my favourite songs of theirs. It's a lysergic, winding rock ballad, featuring a slow guitar riff I adore, a Hammond background and an excellent guitar solo to top the tasty cake.

This album includes some more very good prog songs.
 
Sure, the band didn't get the success they were searching for and had to change their musical direction, but hopefully such a song found its way to the hearts of good music lovers. I'm not a purist (see my posts for that) and I also like Journey's pop-rock era, but I do think their first approach to rock had a special energy, a deeper and more original mood. That's why "Of A Lifetime" is here in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment