Wednesday 12 August 2015

Siberian Khatru (Yes, 1972)

Just think this 8 minutes and more song is the shortest one from "Close to The Edge" album! Its opening guitar riff is legend and so are the following intricate bass line and vocal harmonies. Of course, you'll also find here two solos (not too long, to say the truth): one for Steve Howe's guitar and one for Rick Wakeman's keyboards. All is perfectly "yes": the alternate themes, the vocal largos, the thick and irregular rythms, the tempo changes, the circular structure with the outro resuming the intro, and so on.

That's what I call a Dream Team!

Did you notice I didn't mention Jon Anderson? Well, that's because any reader of my little blog knows too well how much I like his voice, so... I take him for granted! And after all, "Siberian Khatru" is one of the great classics from the Golden Era of prog rock: I just couldn't forget to add such a masterpiece to my collection! Listen to it one more time... I'm doing so right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment