Wednesday 27 April 2016

R.I.P. (Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, 1972)

No doubt this is one of the finest Italian progressive rock tracks ever and also one of the most known and inspiring ones. Useless to say, Francesco Di Giacomo's vocals are the first feature of this song striking the listener with their force and passionate tone.The title (to be read as a plural: "Requescant In Pacem") and the lyrics conjure up a gloomy and bloody war aftermath atmosphere and the powerful keyboards add an epic colour to such a sad picture.


The debut album of BMS still stands as a prog monument.

Among the countless songs dealing with war and death, IMHO this is one of the deepest and most moving ones. Lyrics, rock music and melodic inspiration are so perfectly melt here to describe the grievous side of human nature that each time I listen to "R.I.P." I feel uneasy and somehow sorry. And when the piano comes in, I'm nearly ashamed to belong to the human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment